Tag Archives: Auditory Processing
Chances are, you have an understanding of how you learn. You may be the type that needs to read something to figure it out, you may need to see something in action to understand. There are six different types of ways people learn. Figuring out what type of learner your child (and you) are will help you figure out how your child learns and will be very beneficial in your homeschool.
Here is a breakdown of the different types of learners you may have:
- Visual (spatial): Your child may prefer using pictures, images, and spatial understanding.
- Aural (auditory-musical): Your child learns better while listening to music or other sounds.
- Verbal (linguistic): Your child may prefer using words, both in speech and writing.
- Physical (kinesthetic): Your child learns better while moving or using his body, hands, and sense of touch.
- Logical (mathematical): Your child needs to understand the logic, reasoning and systems
- Social (interpersonal): Your child may prefer to learn in groups or with other people.
- Solitary (intrapersonal): Your child prefers to work alone and use self-study.
If you are not sure how your child learns, think about these different types of learners. Does your child love to read, and research information (Verbal or Visual)? Is he always on the go, and unable to sit still during Math (Physical)? Does he need a quiet place to read and study (Solitary)?
If you are not sure how your child learns there are different types of online and paper quizzes out there that can help you determine his and your learning style. There are also books, and online information that can help you narrow it down.
Chances are you may have a child who learns differently than you. I am a verbal learner. I need to read information to fully understand it. My children, are more kinesthetic learners. This means that textbooks don’t work well in our family unless they are accompanied by hands on activities. Learning this about my children helped me figure out the best way to teach them.
Once you realize what type of learner your child is you will have a much easier time actually teaching them. As your child’s teacher, you can adapt your methods to better suit each of your children. This luxury is something that public schools cannot offer their students! So, take advantage of it. Study your child, find out how they learn, and offer them that customized education that only homeschooling offers!
Author: Misty Bailey
Misty is a homeschool mom of three and has been homeschooling for over 4 years. You can read about her homeschool journey and more on her blog, Joy in the Journey.
National Geographic is a huge website! It would take a person a long time to go through the whole thing. Take the time to teach your student how to use this website. It is well worth your time, especially for the photographs. For instance, search on volcanoes. This is a wonderful website for for unit studies and research projects.
http://www.nationalgeographic.com/ National Geographic provides free maps, photos, videos and daily news stories, as well as articles and features about animals, the environment, cultures, …