Tag Archives: Reading
Do you want to make sure your child gets the best education they can? Do you want to ensure that your child has a head start in academics? If so, then the most important thing you can do for your child is read to them!
A study completed years ago title, “Becoming a Nation of Readers” found that “the single most important activity for building the knowledge required for eventual success is reading”. Research has also found that reading is an accrued skill. Meaning that the more you do it, the better you get at it.
Reading to a child at a young age encourages them to read later in life. It becomes a habit, it is engrained in them, and honestly it helps them to develop a love of literature.
So, what are the best read a louds for families? Here are a few of my favorites!
- The Little House Series by Laura Ingalls Wilder
- Charlotte’s Web by E.B. White
- Misty of Chincoteague by Marguerite Henry
- The Best Christmas Pageant Ever by Barbara Robinson
- The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis
- Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl
- Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery
- Popper’s Penguins by Richard Atwater
- Winnie the Pooh by A.A. Milne
- Stuart Little by A.A. Milne
- Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
- Paddington by Michael Bond
These are just a few of some of our families favorite read a louds!
Dana M. Merritt MS CCC-SLP specializes in the diagnosis & treatment of auditory, visual, & motor processing disorders that cause delays in speech, language & learning. She has developed a unique phonics program called “A Time for Phonics” that utilizes the Hebbian learning rule through the student’s “eye gate,” “ear gate,” & “motor gate” to drive neuroplasticity for reading, writing, spelling and vocabulary. She has also developed “Math Made Fun Through Playing Cards” to improve students’ working memory, math skills and social skills.
http://www.tickettoread.com/ TicketToRead.com is an interactive website that provides elementary school students with tools to make reading a more pleasant activity, and encouraging them to improve their reading skills.
http://www.starfall.com/ A free website to teach children to read with phonics. For preschool, kindergarten, and first grade. Exciting phonics games and online interactive books.