Winter is coming soon and with it comes the magical white stuff….SNOW! Some families love it, some hate it. Regardless of where you fall you will want to find things to do with your kids during the long winter season.
I am one who firmly believes in the power of a snow day even for homeschoolers! We normally call at least 2 a year and during those snow days we often do at least one of these five things!
These activities are also ones that you can do during the upcoming holiday break. Bonus-they all could also count as school days and your kids wouldn’t even know ;)
- Make Snow Crème: We LOVE making Snow Crème! It is SO easy to make and tastes delicious. Here is the recipe:
- 4 Cups of Snow
- 1 Cup of Milk
- ¼ cup of sugar
- 1tsp of Vanilla
- Chocolate or Strawberry syrup (if desired)
- Purge on Movies and Popcorn: We love a good movie or a Little House marathon. Sometimes on snow days we will ditch the books and the cold and curl up to watch some of our favorite movies. Add some popcorn and hot chocolate and you have a dream snow day!
- Paint the Snow: Snow paint is super easy to make and will keep the kids busy for awhile! All you need are spray bottles with adjustbale nozzles and food coloring. Let the kids see what kind of pictures and shapes they can make in the snow! You will be amazed at the beautiful creations J.
- Messy Art or Science Projects: Snow days are the perfect days to whip out all the messy activities you normally say no too. Paint, baking, glitter, play doh, whatever the kids want to do, let them have at it! Make playdoh, experiment with baking soda and vinegar, paint a collage, find something that is messy and have fun with your kids!
- Board Game Day: We enjoy board games but rarely have the time to play more than one a day. Some snow days we will sit and play a tournament of board games. Who can win the most hands of Uno? Get out monopoly and FINISH a game, have a battle ship tournament, and see who can perform the best Operation. There are tons of board games you can play with your kids, and chances are you can find one in your house you’ve not played for a while.
I encourage you the next time it snows to consider taking a snow day and doing one of these activities with your kids. Snow days are a great chance to sit back, relax and have a BREAK! A day of rest from the planning, grading and teaching, and a day to just sit back and be a fun mom!
Author Bio: Misty Bailey is the blogger behind Joy in the Journey and the podcaster behind Joyfully Homeschooling. Her goal in this online space is to encourage and inspire you on your homeschool journey by providing practical tips for real life homeschooling. Through real stories, real struggles, and real life, Misty encourages her blog readers and podcast listeners to embrace imperfection and strive for a more joyful homeschool.