Randi’s Recommendation List – Randi St. Denis – Homeschool Mom
Choosing Textbooks and Websites
- Strike a balance between independent and tutored materials.
- The weight of the textbook does not determine the quality of the textbook. Textbook publishers count on you thinking otherwise. Match the content with the reader’s abilities.
- Good textbooks have full tables of contents, indexes, and glossaries.
- A Ready Reference or other laminated card helps determine the scope of the textbook
- Some textbooks are more conceptual and others are more detail and data oriented.
- Pictures and graphics teach too, and are not merely there for filler. ie. Usborne books or pictures of cells that illustrate the details being learned
- Math – both Computations and Word Problems. Choose at least one textbook that focuses on graphing calculators. Solution manuals are more important than answer keys and teacher guides.
- Support the textbooks with Videos. YouTube.com (With Caution) TeachersTube.com, The Teaching Company – Videos
- The best organized textbooks outline and group the information – tell you what you will learn in the chapter and have a condensed review at the end of the chapter
- Great Literature Books zero in on a complete picture including Biography of the author.
- Great Books! It’s all about the great content.
- Younger Students: Books that are clearly written with great vocabulary. Don’t read abridged classics.
- Mathematics: Computations of the 4 basic operators, Memorization of facts, Concepts (includes word problems)
- Students love hands on: Think – Unit Studies
- Prepare for your unit studies in advance. A little planning brings a lot of enjoyment.
- Consider lap booking.
- Children love books with photographs
- Older Students:
State Practice States for All Ages Students
Government, Civics, Economics, History
- God and Government by Gary DeMar American Vision
- Western Civilization Textbook: Understanding the Modern Culture Wars by Paul A. Cleveland
- The Law by Frederic Bastiat
- Quest of a Hemisphere by Donzella Boyle Western Islands
- Understanding the Times by David Noebel
- The Politics of Guilt and Pity by RJ Rushdoony
- The Economic Way of Thinking by Paul Heyne Prentice Hall
- Whatever Happened to Penny Candy? By Richard Maybury and other books in the series
- How to Lie With Statistics by Darrell Huff
- How to Lie With Charts by Gerald Everett Jones.
- Economics – and anything else by Ludwig Von Mises
- Animal Farm by George Orwell
- **Our American Government – Online Book http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin
- **American Government and other Online Courses and Course Notes: http://www.course-notes.org/US_Gov_and_Politics/Outlines/
- American Citizenship Tests: http://www.twyman-whitney.com/americancitizen/tests.htm
- Real Time Economics by Wall Street Journal http://blogs.wsj.com/economics/category/credit-crisis/
- Historical Movies in Chronological Order passed along without endorsement: http://www.vernonjohns.org/snuffy1186/movies.html#VIII-1
- Life: The Science of Biology William Purves W.H. Freeman Company
- Geography and Environmental Science: Exploring Our World by Tony Hare
- Exploring Creation with Biology Jay Wile Apologia
- Chemistry published by Bob Jones
- **Harcourt Brace College Outline Series: Chemistry or Physics and all other subjects
- Conceptual Physics by Paul Hewitt
- Biology Made Simple
- ** http://kineticbooks.com/ Physics CD’s
- Many, Many Science, Math and Test Prep Websites
- Best Cell Biology Website: http://cellsalive.com/
- Fabulous Cell Videos, hard to get! http://www.molbiolcell.org/misc/video1.shtml
- Best Physics: http://www.physicsclassroom.com/class
- By far the Best Chemistry Site with many interactive tutorials in each chapter: http://www.wwnorton.com/chemistry/
- Chemistry Games: http://www.mansfieldct.org/schools/mms/staff/hand/chemgames.htm
- **Dynamic Periodic Table of Elements: http://www.dayah.com/periodic/
- Fabulous List of Online Science and Math Materials
- The Professor’s Links Page: http://spot.colorado.edu/~dubin/bookmarks/index.html
- Anti Drug Abuse for Teaching Teens – http://teens.drugabuse.gov/about.php
- Chemistry, Social Studies, English and Math Games – http://funbasedlearning.com
- Lessons, Games, and Activities for High School to College Math and Computer Programming, includes Math Caching: http://www.mathbits.com/
- http://www.xpmath.com/index.php Really FUN Math Games
- Geocaching – Hunt treasure all around the world, maybe in your backyard – http://www.geocaching.com/
- Reviews and Discussion of Math Books: http://mathematicallycorrect.com/books.htm
- **TI84 Calculator: Getting Started with the TI-84/83 Graphing Calculator by Carl Swenson ISBN: 0471742074
- Brendan Kelly has written a series of $19.95 graphing calculator books that are fun and can be used with younger kids to explore upper level math before they have to do the hand calculations. I have found that heavy use of the graphing calculator allows students to more easily retain many math topics and to more easily become proficient in pencil and paper calculations. Here is one title in the series: Functions With the TI 84 Plus Calculator by Brendan Kelly – ISBN-10: 895997259
- Graphing Calculator Tutorial: http://www4.ncsu.edu/unity/lockers/users/f/felder/public/kenny/papers/ti.html
- Online Graphing Calculator Handbook: (Very Good) http://college.cengage.com/mathematics/latorre/calculus_concepts/3e/students/graph_calc_guide.html
- ** Kinetic Books Algebra I CD http://kineticbooks.com/
- ** Aleks.com : Online Math Instruction with personalized mastery incentives
- Chalkdust Videos
- The Teaching Company Videos
- Videotext Interactive
- Randi’s Recommendation:
- **College Outline Series Pre-Algebra (7th-8th), Introductory Algebra (Algebra I), Intermediate Algebra (Algebra II) by Alan Wise ISBN; 0-15-601524-2, etc. Harcourt Brace College Outline Series.
- This book is programmed, systematic and easy to use. Parents should work alongside their student and learn along with them. These books do not teach graphing calculators, so an additional graphing calculator workbook should be added.
- Pre-Algebra is fractions, decimals, and percents, plus a simple algebra equation and its components, regardless of what textbook you choose.
- Algebra I and II – Prentice Hall, Glencoe, Saxon, or Math U See, Switched on Schoolhouse/(good for enrichment)
- Free workbooks: http://glencoe.mcgraw-hill.com/sites/dl/free/0078738181/518676/geosp.pdf
- 8 very well written Free workbooks: http://glencoe.com/sites/common_assets/workbooks/math/pdf_workbook/rpwc1.pdf
- Glencoe Mathematics (Glencoe has a fabulous website with many free tutorials, quizzes and tests) Their Geometry is especially good.
- Prentice Hall – Pearson FREE online lessons, quizzes, tests and video tutorials
- Geometry – http://www.phschool.com/webcodes10/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.gotoWebCode&wcprefix=auk&wcsuffix=0099
- **Noteables Interactive Study Notebook for Glencoe Geometry ISBN 0078682134, this can be a stand-alone Geometry Textbook. Usually the student needs the parent to do the work alongside them.
- PreCalculus and Trigonometry
- **Best PreCalculus Book: PreCalculus Functions and Graphs (A Graphing Approach) by Larson, Hostetler, Edwards ISBN: 0-618-39476-1 Sixth Edition a little easier than previous editions
- Be sure to also purchase Solutions Manual for the correct textbook edition ISBN 0-618-39481-8
- The Larson Book Notes: http://www.kkuniyuk.com/Notes
- More Larson Notes: http://scidiv.bcc.ctc.edu/FL/MATH105/MATH105-Course.html
- **Excellent and Inexpensive Online Teaching of Ron Larson’s Math Textbooks: http://hmco.tdlc.com/
- **Algebra and Trigonometry by Sullivan and Sullivan, Prentice Hall (The Graphing Utility Book) ISBN: 0-13-065912-6 Be sure to also get the Solutions Manual: ISBN: This book is also good, a little easier than the Larson book, but explanations in Larson book can be better.
- See all the trigonometric functions at one time http://www.waldomaths.com/Trig1.jsp
- Visual Math Instruction – http://www.visualmathlearning.com
- Easy, Easy Calculus, for even a 4th Grader! Calculus Without Tears: Lesson Sheets for Learning Calculus for Students from the 4th Grade Up ISBN: 0-9764138-0-9 Volumes 1-3. By: William Flannery See detailed descriptions of each volume at www.berkeleyscience.com
- Book with very helpful extra practice sheets: Algebra Teacher’s Activities Kit by Judith Muschla ISBN: 0-7879-6598-7
- Math Teacher’s Book of Lists: Very useful book with one page lists like Exponents, Logarithms, and Parabolas.Individual math contests
- Trigonometry review questions: http://www.batesville.k12.in.us/Physics/CalcNet/Trig_Review/Trig_Review.html
- Dave’s Short Course in Trigonometry http://aleph0.clarku.edu/~djoyce/java/trig/
- Great Site! Math Help, Graphing Calculator Videos, Math Games
- You can generate a HUGE number of worksheets from this site: http://themathworksheetsite.com/
- Learn computer programming and all kinds of computer skills with video tutorials, inexpensive, unlimited access to 600 titles. http://apex.vtc.com/adv-c-prog.php
- Online Projects any student can create without needing to know programming – this is a competition: http://thinkquest.org/en/projects/index.html
- Hundreds of Music Games and Worksheets
- Piano Discovery – No longer published. Can find used on Ebay. Must download patch for new computers, find this on the internet. The best teach yourself and your children piano program.
- Logic Tutor is a free, complete and interactive course on Logic
- Online library, originally known as bluewebn, of outstanding Internet sites categorized by subject, grade level, and format (tools, references, lessons, hotlists, resources, tutorials, activities, projects). This searchable website is amazing!
- AT&T Education Page
- Huge flashcard website with games and tests: Quizlet.com
- Worsley School Online: This started as a 1996 project and has thousands of exceptional pages for all subjects. Very useful for homeschooling
- Adventures in American or English Literature Best Edition: Classic Edition. Also good, Athena and Pegasus Edition Publishers: Harcourt Brace or Holt Rhinehart Winston
- Themes in World Literature edited by George P. Elliott Houghton Mifflin Company.
- **Trinity Forum Series by Karen Thorpe and Os Guiness
- Entrepreneurs of Life: Faith and the Venture of Purposeful Living
- The Journey: Our Quest for Faith and Meaning
- Steering Through Chaos: Vice and Virtue in an Age of Moral Confusion
- Gutenberg Project of Copyright Free Books
- 1000 Good Books List and 100 Great Books List by grades
- Spark Notes help you understand the finer details of literature and other subjects
- http://www.sparknotes.com/ or PinkMonkey.com
- Spelling and Vocabulary Success in 20 Minutes a Day. Many great books in this series, “Success in 20 Minutes a Day”.
- Robert Conklin Grammar Key and Mechanics 2 $9.95 CD’s teach everything you need to know
- English Grammar 101 https://www.englishgrammar101.com/Login.aspx
- The Tongue Untied: Guide to Grammar, Punctuation and Style. Worksheets and Quizzes http://grammar.uoregon.edu/toc.html
- **Ultimate Vocabulary/Software – $67
- Vocabulary from the Classical Roots – workbooks by EPS
- Wordly Wise 3000 – workbooks by EPS
- **Writing Skills I and II by Diana Hanbury King – published by EPS, these appear as workbooks but are better used as teacher’s manuals.
- ** Format Writing by Frode Jensen
- Purdue University Owl Writing Lab: This is a giant website full of information on how to write well. http://owl.english.purdue.edu/
- Find writing topics on college websites teacher’s pages. Look for the English Composition Courses.
Standardized Tests: CLEP, AP, GRE, etc.
- Kaplan SAT Books (The best SAT study book)
- Free SAT Practice
- Free Standardized Practice Tests
- Fee practice for CLEP and DANTES $20 per month.
- LEARN JUST ABOUT ANYTHING AND GET LECTURE NOTES FOR JUST ABOUT ANYTHING
- tremendous website! A huge number of courses from around the world and all the lecture notes!
- Online GED Tests: http://www.4tests.com/exams/examdetail.asp?eid=38
Joint Enrollment / Move On When Ready