Homeschooling can be stressful. As a homeschool mom your job is truly 24/7. There are no breaks, there are no days where you send them off to school, and there is no relying on someone else to teach them what they need to know. It’s on you!
This can be enough to make even the most calm homeschool mom crack under pressure. BUT, believe me when I tell you that all that stress and pressure is worth it. Really it is! You just need to get through the tough days. You need to find a rhythm to the chaos and remember that this season will be over all too soon!
In the meantime these sanity savers for homeschool moms can help you tame the chaos, find some rest and remember the big picture!
- Get Up Early-Believe me when I say that having 10 minutes to yourself BEFORE the chaos ensues can play a HUGE part in how well your day goes. I love this Homeschool Moms Devotional Bible, and taking time to just read in it each morning is a great way to start my day.
- Find a Routine-Having a routine in your day helps you and the kids know what’s coming next. It also helps them know what they need to do if something comes up that demands your attention.
- Be Flexible –Yes routines are great! But remember to be flexible and not tied down to a rigid schedule. Life happens and flexibility is crucial in homeschooling!
- Remember Character is Important-You may teach your child their ABCs and 123s but how is their character? Character training is important and don’t let certain behaviors slide just to get “school” done.
- There is always nap time-Have littles? Try to get your older kids school done while they are napping. That 1-2 hour window can be a great time to hone in on lessons that require more of your attention.
- It’s okay if the books are incomplete –Your children do NOT have to complete every lesson or every problem in every book or on every page. Mark out a few (in our grammar books my kids do odds or evens). Skip a lesson if you know they know the material. If you think back to school do you remember EVER finishing a whole book before moving on at the end of the year? Yea, me either!
- Use Audio Books-These can be a HUGE sanity saver for homeschool moms! Turn on an audio book and let the kids listen while you fold laundry, do the dishes, or make a meal.
- Take Breaks-Is everyone at each other’s throats? Have a week’s worth of laundry to catch up on? Grandma in from out of town? TAKE A BREAK! A day here and a day there never killed a homeschool curriculum believe me!
- Find a Homeschool Group-Homeschool groups are a must in my opinion. Every homeschool mom needs a homeschool friend who “gets” it. You are no different!
- Relax!-Homeschooling is stressful, I get it! But, relax! One day you will look back on these days and wish you would have took a deep breath and just rolled with it.
So, the next time homeschooling overwhelms you go back to these sanity savers for homeschool moms. Relax! Call a friend! Or if all else fails turn on an audio book and take a nap :) the kids will be fine, I’m sure!!
Author Bio: Misty Bailey and her husband have been married for over a decade and have three beautiful children. She shares her struggles with time management, becoming unglued, homeschooling and finding joy in the everyday moments on her blog Joy in the Journey.