One of our favorite things to do as a family is have a family game night. We try to do this at least once a week! As a homeschool family, I have to admit that sometimes… I like to make sure those games are also educational. After all, learning can and does happen anywhere right?
Here are over 20 educational board games that are great for homeschool families!
- Candy Land: What preschooler doesn’t love this game? It teaches colors, taking turns and counting.
- Scrabble: This game is great for a variety of reasons. It teaches spelling, letter recognition, and vocabulary skills. Also, it is a lot of fun!
- Battleship: This game teaches boat recognition, and how to read a grid. It also is a great game for critical thinking!
- Monopoly: Budgeting and money management skills are learned in this fun game. It also teaches patience as it takes forever to finish one.
- Uno: Preschoolers can learn colors and number recognition while playing Uno alongside the rest of the family!
- Jenga: This game makes you think. Where should you place the blocks? Where should you pull? No one wants to be the one who makes the tower fall!
- Guess Who: Helps teach kids memory skills, and helps them learn the elimination process. Which players have red hair? Which ones wear glasses? Identification skills are learned as well
- Operation: My kids have learned different body parts by playing this fun game! All kids like to take a turn being Doctor.
- Where in the World USA: This game is great to help kids (and parents) learn USA geography skills!
- Spot it: A new spin on memory and visualization skills this game is fun for parents and kids!
- Anaxi: This game requires creativity! Players race to write down things that share the qualities of at least two out of three adjectives.
- Dinkee Linkee: A trivia game like no other! Players read off four prompts and have to spot the link between all the answers before the other team shouts it out.
- Scrabble Twist Game: A handheld electronic version of the classic board game Scrabble. Tap and twist the device to make the letters appear, then start racking up points.
- Trivial Pursuit: With cards for kids and adults, the whole family can get a kick out of this fun-filled Family Edition of Trivial Pursuit! Family members of all ages can test their smarts with question after question in 6 categories.
- Payday: Want to teach your kids how to manage money? This is the game for you! The classic game of Payday makes family finance fun as it reminds everyone just where the money goes.
- CAMP Board Game: GET OUTDOORS:Camp is a game where both children & adults can play & learn fun facts about the great outdoors.
- Q’s Race to the Top: In this interactive board game, children help Q race to the top of his tree house while answering questions and performing fun actions. Practice social skills and better behavior with questions designed to promote feeling identification and communication, manners, creative thinking, balance and coordination.
- Brain Quest: Kids race to answer questions in the Brain Quest Smart Game from University Games. Kids draw a card, then answer a question at their own grade level. The winner is the first to spell SMART by answering a question correctly in each category: Science, Math, Arts, Reading and The World.
- Snug as A Bug in a Rug: This award winning snuggle bug matching game has three play levels so it will grow with your child. Players work together to hide matching bugs under the rug before the three stick bugs stink up the place! Children learn colors, numbers, shapes, counting and social development skills with no reading required
- Word Play for Kids: Fun word challenge game for kids to develop word building, vocabulary, spelling and concentration
- Monkey’s Up: Players compete to get the best score by flipping, switching, and stealing monkeys. Each monkey has a value hidden under its feet that is only revealed when flipped. Victory will come to the player who switches, steals, and flips the best.
Family game nights can be lots of fun! But, they can also be educational if you try one of these fun board games!
Misty Bailey is a homeschool mom to three beautiful blessings. She loves helping new homeschoolers and has a Homeschool 101 eBook for those getting started. She shares her struggles with time management, becoming unglued and finding joy in the everyday moments on her blog Joy in the Journey.